Visit us at Snip It Up

Visit us at Snip It Up
A Little Touch of Homemade

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Someone asked me last week how I came up with the design of my new quilts.....2 years ago I was frantically making traditional quilts like a crazy person.  My daughter told me after giving her my first quilt that is was "the best present she had EVER received and of course, that was enough to inspired me to make more...lots more.  So my quilter friend (the one you pay $$ to have your quilt quilted) said within 6 months I had become her favorite customer!  That meaning only one thing...I was paying her more than all the other 45 gals she was quilting for.  Hubby was soon wondering why we had hot dogs and eggs every other night.  I had fallen victim of the quilters madness!  It had to stop, I was falling into the money pit.
My quilter friend (remember, the one you pay $$ to have your quilt quilted) moved to Florida.  That being said,   my quilting had come to the end of the line.  There was no way I wanted to start anew with a quilter.  This was my only chance to save myself so...
I designed a quilt made completely by me with no long arm, no batting, no special backing fabric and took it to one of the largest quilters shows in California..They say 18,000 to 22,000 customers come looking for that special quilt within a 3 day run. Well, my daughter and I decided to sale ONLY  fabric at this really big show I might add that we had NO experience whatsoever at!  After the 2nd day, we were more than ready to throw in the towel and go home (forgot to mention, we were not speaking to each other by this time).  Then a customer came up and needed a special print of fabric that was tucked in under the table.  When reaching for the fabric my quilt was tossed on the back of the chair and that was that!  Every person that came through the show had to touch, feel and gawk at the quilt.  There you have it...patterns were designed, kits made and we were off.

Now, off to my little corner, the sewing room.  Do hope you are having a great Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment